Monday, August 15, 2011

Heather Grady is Sentenced

Heather Grady walked in as the last case to be heard. She made her appearance in a lime green 1 piece jumper with leg shackles and dark green rubber clogs. Her hair was down that showed her dark brunette hair with all her blond on the ends that had grown out. She wore her black rimmed glasses and her skin was pale.
Outside the court Room Jim and I met with Phyllis and her husband Larry (Heather's mom and step father)
I told Phyllis there was no hard feeling between us and that is was Heather. We were all civil to each other and as a mother I could see the knowing look of her child and the hurt that has been caused. But still wanting her child's outcome to be good. I truly felt for her.
The opening statements were made and Jim was the first to the stand, he was asked a few questions about his case pending in Arkansas on September 19. Phyllis testified against Heather in a very low voice. The court reporter said she could not hear her. And Larry was obviously upset at some of responses when it came to Payton's possible return to Heather. They sat behind Jim and I.
Jim went outside to smoke during a previous case and a woman named Sheryl had followed Jim outside. She recognized Jim and they talked. When they returned the judge ordered an 8 minute recess. We all returned and sat near each other. Heather came in and had her hair pulled back in a ponytail. Sheryl testified and when she came back i put my hand ùp behind my head and she high-fived me. She told how Heather had stolled her ex-husbands info like so many other's and credit card and bank account statements were coming in in different peoples names. I found out that she had to attend court to kick Heather out of her house for breaking the lease. Heather testified saying that she was going to help Detective Elwood out in telling him how she did all her crimes. And Mr Elwwod testified that she was indeed going to help him. My heart dropped at it sounded like a bargain plea. Heather put on a show and boo hooed as if trying to convince her mom she was sorry. It wasnt even a good show and I rubbed my fingers together playing that itty bitty pitty violin for her.
Heather had a complex of spiral bound notebooks with 123 peoples names in them along with each ones credit report. 111 of these people were dead. A makeshift storage area had to be put together to place all the items that Heather had falsly gotten from ID Fraud. Lamps, grill masters, jewlery, T.V's, Beds clothing etc... It was brought up that Heathers record spans back to 2002. Then, after all testimony, silence. The judge I quote," Proffessional Criminal and very extensive". Most were class E, a C and B fellonies were in the 13 charges against her. The judge said all terms were to be carried out conceculativly. Totalling 9 1/2 years. With no parole.She will go to the state prison in Ripley/Covington area.
I cannot express my deapest thanks to the outstanding job that Detective Chris Elwood the prosecuting attorney (I never got his name - im sorry) and to Judge Walker.